A Master’s Degree in Science from Delhi University, Ms Sunita Sharma joined the Life Insurance Corporation as Direct Recruit Officer of 11th batch in 1981. She took charge as Managing Director of LIC of India on 11th April, 2017. She has shown initiative, courage and conviction when it comes to decision making and taking things to a logical end while always leading from the front. Her intellect, energy, dynamic personality and integrity are her strength. In her illustrious career of over three decades with LIC of India she is known as an out performer in various assignments
As MD & CEO of LIC Housing Finance Ltd., she holds the prestige of becoming the first woman to head LIC HFL, India’s second largest mortgage lender in its 25th year. During her tenure, LIC HFL has reached newer heights in the last three financial years both quantitatively and qualitatively. During her stint, for the first time the Company crossed revenues of Rs.10000 cr. growing at over 15% CAGR and has continuously been expanding its Net Interest Margins year over year to a nearly 5 year highs. Her focus for quality growth reflected in her “zero tolerance policy to NPAs” has resulted in LICHFL being the best in class in Asset quality with Gross NPAs less than 0.5%, an exemplary feat in the given circumstances. During her tenure in LICHFL, significant improvements have been made in the areas of Brand Building, Customer Service, Information Technology and Human Resources. The consistent performance of the Company was recognized by markets with the Stock Price and Market Capitalization increasing by more than 300% to life-time highs.
- She headed its Investments Department in the rank of Executive Director looking after equity research and risk management in 2013.
- As Head of Pension & Group Schemes in the rank of Executive Director of LIC of India, during her span of 4 years, premium income more than trebled to Rs.46,000 Cr from Rs.10,549 Cr between 2008 & 2012.
- As Chief (Personnel) in LIC of India, she was responsible for conceptualizing and designing HR strategies for LIC of India.
- As Regional Manager (Estates & Office Services) she played a key role in LIC acquiring property worth more than Rs.2000 Cr.
- As Regional Manager (Northern Region) of LIC Housing Finance covering the states of Delhi NCR, Rajasthan, Chandigarh, Punjab and Himachal Pradesh, she played a pivotal role in establishing new business model of separating sales and credit functions.
- For the second time in a row, Ms Sharma was conferred with Asia Pacific Entrepreneurship Award in 2017.
- She featured in India’s “The Top 40 CEOs BFSI” published by Business Today in association with PwC.
- ABP News conferred her as “CEO with HR Orientation”. She was awarded “Women Super Achiever In Real Estate Sector” by ABP Real Estate Awards. She was also granted the “UDYOG RATTAN AWARD” by Institute of Economic Studies (IES), New Delhi in December 2013.
- LIC HFL received lot of recognitions during her tenure. To cite a few, the Company was featured in Forbes “India’s Super 50 Companies”. Economic Times recognized LIC HFL as “Best Brands 2016”. For the third time in a row, CIBIL has awarded the Company for “Best data quality in Housing Finance Institution”. ABP News conferred two awards viz. “Best HR of the Year” and “Housing Finance Company of the Year”. The Company was also selected under “Most Recognizable Brands of Indian Origin”.
- She is a member of Boards of National Stock Exchange and Larsen and Toubro Ltd.